Project began a phased approach,
Phase One – Drivetrain & Suspension
- 5 lug Disc brake conversion with dropped spindles & Rear axle swap to 5 lug 3.73 posi with 4 inch dropped springs
- This actually turned out to be, 5 lug conversion with Tubular upper and lower control arms and airbags.
- Rear axle swap with 3.73 limited slip and a disc brake conversion and air bags.
- Restore gas tank
- New stock white powder coated steel wheels and new tires
- Remove the original 305, replacement is a sbc 355 ci. mild roller cam and ealry vortec heads.
- Addition of FiTech throttle body injection system
- Add 700Rd overdrive in place of 3spd manual
- Add power steering with all new linkage, ball joints, etc…
- Install complete Accuair Management system
Phase two – Interior & exterior
- Swap in bucket seats and console in place of original bench seat
- Install Tach/Vac dash
- Tilt column to replace factory 3 spd. column shift
- Install a factory cruise control setup
- Install complete sound system
- Head unit
- Sub woofers
- New dash pad
- New glove box liner
- New windshield
Nickname for her
The idea behind Goldmember is that I wanted an original looking but modern performing Suburban. I have always liked they style and after finding this one that had been tucked in a barn on the farm for 20+ years, I just had to have it. She also has an alter Ego ‘Super Sag Wagon’ this is a term used by cyclists to describe the SAG (Support and Gear) vehicle that takes care of the cyclist and his bike while out on a ride or race.
I have found some inspiration to help me get not only ideas for Goldmember, but to get a peek on how other burb owners are making them their own.